Let's Go Mets! Lets go Mets! Oh how I
have longed to shout those words with such glee and jubilation! Yes,
lifelong fans of the New York Metropolitans like myself have had to
put up with the jabs and taunts of Yankee fans for years. Well now
its our turn! Lets Go Mets! My god I can't get enough of it.
I can remember as a young boy the
heartbreak and misery these lowly band of misfits would bring me year
after year. I hid under my bed for two days when I learned that they
had traded Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi and I cried until I could cry
no more when I saw that the franchise, Tom “Terrific” Seaver had
been traded away for Pat Zachry, Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson and Dan
Norman. But those historic mistakes did not sway my allegiance to the
almighty blue and orange.
We stood proud when Pete Rose throttled
Bud Harrelson in the 1973 National League Championship Series but
mourned our loss in the World Series to Charlie Finley's upstart
Oakland Athletics. How many of us remember standing and cheering for
Oakland's second baseman Mike Andrews after Charley Finley tried to
fire him during the series for making two errors in one inning.
Then there was 1987 when we Met fans
bellowed aloud as we watched footage of our young franchise savior
walk sullenly into the Smithers Rehabilitation Center. It mattered
not, the Mets were my team and there was no getting away from it. The
memories of sitting around the lunch table at school and talking
about the great players they had brought to the team warm my heart
everyday. Don Hahn, George the Stork Theodore, Bob Aspormonte, Tim
Foli and, well I could just go on forever.
Lean years followed through the 80's
and 90's never ever seeming to be able to catch those darn Atlanta
Braves. Year after year we would watch as they would win the division
and move on to October baseball as we scoured the L.L. Bean catalog
looking for what we would be wearing that winter, but then came a
magical year. The year we were to meet our cross town arch rival in
the Subway Series. Yes, we were in for the fight of our lives against
those stinking Yankees, well as much of a fight as you could put up
in 5 games.
We suffered through the indignity of
that hopped up, roid ragged Roger Clemmens as he hurled a broken bat
at our sainted Mike Piazza, who coincidentally ended that World
Series run with a fly ball to center while facing Mariano Rivera.
Our sadness continued through 2007
when with a seven game lead on September 12th we lost 12
of the next 17 games in one of the worst collapses in baseball
history. But we prevailed and in 2008, well, we failed again missing
the playoffs and being eliminated on the last game of the season for
the second consecutive season.
But now, here are in 2015 and we
are one win away from going back to the Series. Met fans like myself
are reveling in seeing this scrappy bunch of scamps playing their
hearts out this year. Daniel Murphy has become a giant among mortal
men. Home run after home run fly from his bat and yet he is
disrespected by the voice of the Mets who noted that “I have no
interest in bringing back Daniel Murphy”.
Met fans like myself were horrified to
hear such mutterings. We are on a roll, we finished first in a
division where only one other team had more wins than losses. We beat
the hated Los Angeles Dodgers and are on the verge of eliminating
the hapless Chicago Cubs. We can do this, I know we can, I know we
can.
So tonight as we sit watching our Blue
and Orange wave crash into the Chicago Cubs and march our way to our
first World Series appearance in 25 years we will unite as one, rise
to our feet and shout..................
Editors note: Hours after posting this
piece Michael Grattini was found wandering the streets of Pleasant
Valley mumbling Fonzie....Agbyani....Fonzie......Agbyani. Friends and
family may visit the 6th floor psychiatric ward at Mid
Hudson Medical between the hours of 4 pm and 6 pm. Please leave all
sharp objects at the door.

No comments:
Post a Comment